Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Karma

On the plus side, I got a job. A perfect job in fact. Exactly in line with what I've studied, and its in Wicklow town. About half an hours drive from most interesting bits of the hills. Couldn't really ask for more.

On the minus side, my ring finger tendons are incredibly close to being entirely fucked. Traitorous little bastards. Thats me out of it for at least a month and a half I'm guessing. Anyone have any good tendon advice? Plan is to not climb on it at all, and avoid loading it as much as possible for about 6 weeks, combined with icing, massage, and glucosamine supplements.

I guess its a good chance to get back into going to the gym and trying to acquire some actual core strength for once. Might even try and convince myself that running is fun.......or maybe just less abhorrent than I usually find it. Karmas a bitch, the only exercises I can do are either ones that I have no real need of, or ones that I find thoroughly unpleasant. Ah well, got to make the most of it I guess...I can still clean stuff and climb slabs.

Peace Out

p.s Fuck sake, just when I was starting to feel good....

4 comments:

Dave Flanagan said...

Nice on Paul. Loads of info on UKB I'm sure...

Neal said...

pot of cold water, sit in front of tv, wait 20 minutes. Leave a while, and repeat. Everyday. Until it's better.

If you can, try climb some easy stuff (highly recommend doing routes for this as you don't pull as hard as bouldering) - 5 and 6a/6b to stimulate blood flow to the arms.

And then positive vibes!

how did you do the damage?

Leo said...

Talk to Shane about this man! He read up shit loads of stuff when his went pop!

Paul said...

Alright Dave, forgot to congratulate you on finishing the guide. Nice one! Looking forward to getting my hands on one soon.

Cheers for the advice Neal, will give that a go. Doing easy routes sounds like a plan as well. Probably for the best too, as I've recently been described as "Massively overtrained and in desperate need of stamina".

From my thouroughly unqualified self-diagnosis, I reckon the damage is a partial tear of the A2 pulley on my LH ring finger, and a minor tendon strain in my RH ring finger. I can feel a distinct little lump by the LH pulley. There was no single incident, it was more of a gradual realisation that my fingers were getting increasingly sore every time I climbed. They're now at a stage where I reckon if I pull hard on them I'm in danger of doing something horrible to myself. Rest, recouperation and healing are in order I think. Hope you're doing well in Sheff-land :-)