Friday, October 2, 2009

Northern Blues

Holey freaking crap on a stick. Words cannot describe how frustrating it is to be stuck 20 minutes drive from the best crag in the country with no way of getting there and nobody to climb with! Well thats not technically true, there are people to climb with but unlike me they have lives and commitments. The only commitment I currently have is to my masters course. It wouldn't be so bad if there was a wall nearby or I could get to the crag and shunt, but alas I am stranded in Coleraine with no more reliable form of transport than my own two stubby inadequate legs. Right, self pity finished (for now.....I envisage much more in the upcoming months :-( )

Despite the logistical difficulties, I did manage to get in a solid 3 days climbing on the prow over the weekend. Got a lift over on Friday evening and camped out in Sean's til Monday. It was the Dal Riada agm so there were a good few heads around, but they all seemed to move in pairs. So I spent most of my time seconding on a rope of 3 or shunting. Did manage to lead Good Morning Judge the non-gay way, no pussying out like last time, so that was satisfying! Other than that it felt like I was up every popular pitch (and some unpopular ones too..) on the prow twice over the few days, so a nice bit of mileage there. Think I'm finally learning how to crack climb! An abortive attempt to lead Mongrel Fox showed that I haven't quite learned yet, but well on the way. That and Thunderhips are probably the two routes I most want to do at the moment, just requiring bigger gear and bigger balls than I had last weekend! T'was a good start to being a local up here though.

Due to the lack of actual climbing during the week, I've taken up running in the evenings and have joined the gym up here. I reckon a bit of CV fitness wouldn't go astray from the running. And as for the gym, well, strength is strength! Doing a lot of core based stuff as well so hopefully it pays off. I've got a Beastmaker on the way too, which brings a deep warmth to my heart just thinking about. You can't beat a bit of dangling. Got some other ideas about training under construction at the moment. Will have to see if they prove useful before going public with em though...... ;-)

Plan for the weekend is the Mournes hopefully. Possibly bouldering on Binnian and maybe some easy soloing, we'll see what the weather is like. Also see what the story is with CK, “the busiest man in the world”. :-) Hoping to get home (i.e Glendo) for one weekend in November (its a bit of a trek, so won't be down too often). If someone could say when the proper sticky conditions in Wicklow begin, I'd be very much obliged! :-) (calling of the granite?). Thats all for now homes. Or is it holmes? Oh I don't know. Later Watson.

Peace Out

No comments: